Southern Pickled Shrimp Cocktail Salad
Southern Pickled Shrimp Cocktail Sale
Write a review
- •PICKLING MIX
- 1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 cup vinegar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- cup capers
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Red chili pepper flakes to taste
- 2 Ibs shrimp steamed, peeled, and deveined
- •INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 4 cups small shredded carrots
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 1 lemon
- STEP 1. Combine all ingredients. Cook the marinade just enough to warm and dissolve. Once taken off the stove, add 1/4 cup fresh parsley.
- STEP 2. Steam the shrimp just until the shells turn pink. Be careful not to overcook. Drain and place in a large ice bath (do not skip this step as it will help keep the shrimp firm). Peel, devein and take off the tails. Add to the pickling marinade. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours.
- STEP 3. Take shrimp out of marinade and cut into smaller pieces.
- STEP 4. Layer and fill the mason jars starting with the lettuce, shrimp, carrots and celery. There should be enough room to layer each ingredient twice. Slice lemon in the round and place on top of the salad.
- Cocktail Sauce Vinaigrette
- Mix 1/4 cup catsup, a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbs. horseradish, 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice. Add to the mixture ¼ cup vinegar, ¾ cup oil, ¼ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper and a pinch of sugar. Put into a dressing container and if desired, place it in the Mason jar. When ready to eat, just pour onto the salad, close the lid, shake and enjoy.
My Outer Banks Home https://myouterbankshome.com/